Colombo emergency laborers to resume search for missing on Sunday after 19 torsoes extracted from rubbish and mud

Emergency laborers looking for survivors after a massive rubbish dump collapsed in Sri Lanka suspended their search on Saturday night, having already extracted 19 torsoes from the rubble and mud.

The 90 -metre-high dump in the capital Colombo collapsed after flames engulfed it late on Friday, the nations New Years Day, and eyewitness mentioned around 100 houses could have been buried.

The salvage mission will resume at 6am local day, according to the military official heading the operation, Sudantha Ranasinghe.

The main obstacle is we dont have a clear idea of how many people are hidden as nobody is claiming that their relatives are missing, unlike on previous occasions, Ranasinghe said.

We dont have any deadline and we are still until we clear everything.

Members
Members of the military study search for survivors after a rubbish dump in Colombo collapsed. Photo: Dinuka Liyanawatte/ Reuters

The police said they were investigating whether the landslide was natural or man-made. They also said about 145 houses had been damaged.

We heard a massive audio. It was like thunder. Tiles in our home get cracked. Black water started coming in, said one survivor who dedicated his name as Kularathna.

We tried to get out but we were trapped inside. We wailed for help and were rescued later.

Another inhabitant, Mohamed, mentioned three of his neighbours were missing and estimated that more than 100 people could have been buried.

Residents of the field, mainly living in shanties, had been demanding the objective of eliminating the dump, saying it was making health problems. The government had said it would remove it soon under an infrastructure plan.

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ world/ 2017/ apr/ 16/ hundreds-feared-buried-in-sri-lanka-rubbish-dump-landslide